Setting up an account if you're a foreign national

I'm a South African citizen but I live overseas

If you are a South African citizen who is living abroad, you can register an EasyEquities account using your SA ID and you will be able to open a South African (ZAR) account as well as access international accounts. If you would like access to a ZAR account you will need to submit 3 months bank statements to

I'm not a South African citizen

US and Australian citizens are not permitted to have ZAR accounts. However, all other non-South African citizens can still register for an EasyEquities account, and provided that they meet the following requirements will be able to open a South African (ZAR) account as well as access international accounts. 
  • I am a citizen of one of the Common Monetary Area countries (Ie. Namibia, Lesotho, Swaziland OR
  • I am NOT a South African citizen or citizen of the Common Monetary Area countries BUT I have:
    • A valid South African Identity document OR 2 different forms of Identity (Certified Copies of Eg. Passport, Drivers License or ID) AND
    • An active South African bank account
Following your registration please email the documents listed in the table below, through to our New Accounts department at

I don't have an SA bank account

If you don't have an SA bank account you will still be able to register for an EasyEquities account. However, you will only have access to international accounts and will not be issued with a South African ZAR account.

Register here

Info needed
Acceptable verification documents

Proof of Identification

  • Submit certified copies of 2 different forms of Identity (E.g. passport AND driver's license)
Proof of Physical Residential Address
  • Submit a certified copy of a Proof of address document - this must reflect name/initials and surname, physical address, or property descriptions (i.e. erf/stand numbers) and must be less than 3  months old

    Here is a list of valid FICA documents that can be used to verify your physical residential address:
  • A utility bill, such as water, electricity, or rates (less than 3 months old). We may accept a utility bill that is addressed to a post box number if it shows your name, erf/stand number, township, and suburb.
  • A bank statement or financial statement from a financial institution (less than 3 months old)
  • A copy of a signed lease agreement (by both parties), (less than 1-year-old)
  • A municipal rates and taxes invoice (less than 3 months old)
  • A mortgage statement from another financial institution, (less than 6 months old)
  • A telephone account, i.e. a landline or cellphone account (less than 3 months old)
  • An official tax return/tax assessment (less than 1-year-old)
  • Official correspondence from the South African Revenue Services ("SARS") (less than 3 months old)
  • A recent life insurance policy issued by an insurance company
  • Correspondence from a body corporate or share–block association (less than 3 months old)
  • A valid television license document
  • A recent short–term insurance policy document or a short–term insurance renewal letter (less than 1-year-old)
  • A retail account statement/invoice (less than 3 months old)
  • Where the person live in any type of residence (eg. hostel/barracks) a letter from the administration department of such residence on an official  letterhead
Problems with Proof of Physical AddressI'm living with another person who is the homeowner such as a spouse, parent, sibling, life-partner

You will need to provide "Proof of Residential" address by emailing us certified copies of the following documents:

  1. A document from the list of valid FICA documents above, less than 3 months old, reflecting:
    • The name/initials and surname of the person you live with (i.e. spouse, parent, sibling, life-partner, etc.)
    • The physical address or property descriptions (i.e. erf/stand numbers)
  2. A copy of the identity document of the person you live with (i.e. spouse, parent, sibling, life-partner, etc.)
  3. The Confirmation of address form completed and signed by the person you live with (i.e. spouse, parent, sibling, life-partner, etc.)
Student Accommodation
If you are a student residing at a student residence, hostel, or boarding  house and are unable to provide proof from the homeowner, please send the following:

  • A written  statement from the educational institution or the residence, hostel, or  boarding house (on a formal letterhead) confirming your residence at the physical address of such residence, OR
  • The attached "Confirmation of address" form, completed and signed by a representative of the educational institution, together with proof of their identity

Proof of Bank Account
You can send through one of two types of document as follows:

  1. A copy of a bank statement no older than 3 months old, that is officially stamped by the bank OR alternatively
  2. An official letter from the bank, on bank letterhead, listing details of your account, signed by the bank
Proof of Residency
  • A work permit
Proof of registration with SARS
  • IRP5 or other document proving you are a registered taxpayer in South Africa

Did you find it helpful? Yes No

Send feedback
Sorry we couldn't be helpful. Help us improve this article with your feedback.